Imperial Whitetail Alfa-Rack Plus Deer Food Plot Seed Mix - 3.75 LBS. - Ships direct from Alabama
Quantity in Basket:
Product Code: IMP-ALFARACK-0375
Regular Price: $40.95
Shipping Weight: 4.00 pounds
Scroll down to view additional product details.
Imperial Whitetail Alfa-Rack Plus Food Plot Seed Mix
Imperial Whitetail Alfa-Rack Plus food plot seed mix by Whitetail Institute is a
perennial blend of high-protein, drought and cold resistant grazing alfalfas, Imperial Whitetail Clover and
WINA-100 Chicory. Alfa-Rack Plus has an extensive deep-root structure that helps keep plants thriving even on steep hillsides while reaching deep into the soil to find moisture. Alfa-Rack Plus provides up to 35% protein to help increase antler development.
Alfa-Rack Plus Quick Facts
- Includes specially selected X-9 Technology grazing alfalfas – more leaf relative to stem, more palatable and digestible to deer than ordinary hay alfalfas
- Includes WINA-100 perennial forage chicory – vastly more tender and palatable to deer than traditional chicories
- Includes Imperial Whitetail Clover which provides up to 35% of antler-building protein
- Designed to last up to 5 years from a single planting
- Extremely cold tolerant, Heat, Drought and Disease Resistant
- Contains legumes that naturally supplement soil with nitrogen - requires no nitrogen once established
- Includes Whitetail Institute Rainbond seed coating to help ensure seedling survivability by retaining moisture near the seed
- Alfa-Rack Plus food plot seed grows a perennial food plot on a hilltop, hillside or on almost any light, upland soil.
Planting & Maintaining Alfa-Rack Plus Food Plots
Alfa-Rack Plus Food Plot Seed Mix
contains the newest, most innovative X-9 alfalfa technology, Imperial Whitetail Clover, with the addition of chicory for drought resistance, variety and superior taste. Alfa-Rack Plus is even easier to establish, faster growing, and more digestible and attractive to deer. It is also exceptionally drought and disease resistant.
The alfalfa varieties in Alfa-Rack Plus will grow best in the upper Southern States to Northern States in the USA -- Central Alabama, Northern tip of Texas and up -- Upland United States. This food plot mix does NOT do well in wet bottomed soils.
The Chicory and Clover will grow well further south in the USA than the Alfalfa.
Please see our Whitetail Institute Planting page for planting dates and areas.
You can also call the Whitetail Institute at 1-800-688-3030 ext 2 with questions.
1. Follow all instructions below, step-by-step, when planting Imperial Alfa-Rack Plus.
2. Stay within the planting times for your state on the back of your Alfa-Rack Plus
3. Select a well drained area like hillsides or hilltops. Avoid bottomlands that hold moisture.
4. If your area is weedy, you may choose to till or disk the area then wait ten days before disking again. You may choose to spray a Round-up type product and wait the recommended 10
days before disking. Always read and follow herbicide label directions to prevent crop damage and environmental hazards as these types of herbicides are now considered to be toxic to
soils, wildlife, humans and the general environment. Another natural alternative to using herbicides would be to spray weeds with vinegar which does not accumulate in the soil and causes
only a temporary decrease in soil pH when properly applied.
5. Disk ground thoroughly to prepare good weed-free seed bed.
6. A Soil test for alfalfa to determine fertilizer and lime requirements is highly recommended. Be sure the pH of the soil is between 6.5 and 7.5. Proper pH is a very important part of soil preparation. If a soil test is not possible, use 400 lbs. of 6-24-24 or equivalent fertilizer per acre. Also, apply a minimum of two tons of lime per acre. A heavy application of lime can help maintain a neutral soil for several years.
Tips about Lime - Buy your lime in bulk, not in bags. Lime is very inexpensive when bought in bulk. Also apply lime well in advance of planting for optimum soil pH.
7. Prepare a good, firm seed bed. If available use a cultipacker or heavy roller to smooth and firm the soil. If no cultipacker is available, use a weighted fence type drag. It is critical to level the ground and fill in any cracks that will allow the seed to get too deep. NOTICE: We are cultipacking
or dragging before the seeds are sown.
8. Seeding Rate - With a good seed bed prepared, broadcast 14 pounds or more seed per acre. *If you use a hand spreader, be certain to adjust the seed opening to about 1/8 inch. This adjustment will insure proper distribution of seed. This is usually the smallest setting on most hand spreaders.
9. After broadcasting seed, if available, use a cultipacker or some type of heavy roller to roll over field. This presses seed into ground and helps insure better seed to soil contact and good germination. If no cultipacker or roller is available you are finished with the planting process,
do not drag the field after the seeds have been sewn. Do not cover seed more than 1/4 inch. DO NOT DISK SEED INTO GROUND. (NOTICE: This is the second time we recommend use of a cultipacker
10. Remember Alfa-Rack Plus is a high quality forage seed. Proper planting effort, favorable soil, weather conditions and good timing can contribute to the success of your planting, and the ultimate impact on the quality of your deer and wildlife.
11. After planting, place a small wire basket -- an exclusion cage -- over a portion of your food plot so wildlife can’t graze that area. Watch the difference inside and outside
the basket to get an idea of how much your food plot is grazed
12. Do not plant during hot/dry weather.
Alfa-Rack Plus Maintenance
For maximum performance and longevity from your Alfa-Rack Plus food plot, the following instructions are strongly recommended.
1. Alfa-Rack Plus is capable of producing heavy growth. Depending on your deer and wildlife population and/or how much you plant, you may choose to mow to clip the weeds and Alfa-Rack Plus down to about 4-6 inches. Mow in the spring and summer months anytime weeds and grasses reach 12 inches tall. This will also promote tender lush
food plot growth. Mow everything down to 4-6 inches high. Do not mow when it is hot and dry. Remove clippings if possible. NOTE: Alfa-Rack Plus does not have to re-seed to grow from year to year. It grows from the root system. This is why Alfa-Rack Plus maintains high protein levels (25-30%) all year, and one of the many reasons that make Alfa-Rack the absolute best food plot choice for well
2. Once Alfa-Rack is established, fertilize once or twice a year using a 0-20-20 or similar fertilizer at the rate of 300# per acre. Spring and early fall are the best times to fertilize. Apply fertilizer when plants are dry. Note: Be sure the nitrogen or first of the
three numbers on your fertilizer is zero or as low as possible. Alfa-Rack Plus contains legumes that produce their own nitrogen. If additional nitrogen is added it will only promote weed and grass competition.
3. Soil test every 2-3 years to insure proper pH and fertility. You may need to add more lime every few years.
Following the steps above should help you control grasses and weeds in the long run and also will help you get the best stand and longest life possible from your Alfa-Rack Plus food
Read more about Imperial Whitetail Alfa-Rack Plus at our information site http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/whitetail/seeds/alfa-rack-plus.html